Services for



We cater for individuals who receive income from dividends, rental properties, savings, those who are company directors and people who have capital gains, for example from selling a second property.

Capital Gains Tax

Rental Income

Higher Income Child Benefit Charge

Checking Coding Notices

Advice on Tax Treatment

Help with Tax Credit Forms

Self-Assessment Tax Returns



Self-Assessment is not just about self-employment and there are lots of circumstances when you might require our assistance even if you are not self- employed or a director in a limited company. We also prepare tax returns for individuals and for trusts and estates.

Capital Gains Tax (CGT)

Our team of experts can calculate any tax due on capital gains through sales of your investments (shares, property, etc).

If you are unsure on whether your income falls into either of these categories we can advise you.

Rental Income

If you rent out a property, the rental income you receive will be taxable. Expenses incurred such as gas safety certificates and general maintenance of the property will be deductible against the income.

We can provide you with rental accounts and calculate any tax due whether it is for one flat or for a portfolio of properties. There are exceptions, for example, if you have a lodger living in your house you will qualify for the rent-a-room allowance which may cover all of the rent received.

Higher Income Child Benefit Charge

Introduced in 2013, this new charge requires all individuals who earn over £50,000 per year and are in receipt of child benefit, be it paid to themselves or their partner, to register for self-assessment.

The charge reduces the amount of child benefit a couple is entitled to on a sliding scale where the income of one partner is between £50,000 and £60,000.

Any deemed overpayment of the benefit is collected through the self-assessment system. If one partner earns over £60,000 per year, the charge will match the amount of Child Benefit paid in the year, and it may be best to de-register for child benefit.

All of these services can be taken care of by the team at Emma Pickles Accountants.


Check out our latest Insights for useful accounting tips and information.

Falling inflation – what does it mean for you?

The following notes are reproduced from a Treasury statement issued 21 May 2024.

Lower inflation supports people by maintaining the purchasing power of their money.

If prices only rise slowly, people can plan their budgets more effectively –

Read More

New Brooms

As time passes during the present election campaign, its seems more likely that we may have a change of government from the 5 July.

Labour have disclosed a number of tax changes they would introduce. To summarise they are:

Private school fees

Read More

Tax Diary July/August 2024

1 July 2024 – Due date for corporation tax due for the year ended 30 September 2023.

6 July 2024 – Complete and submit forms P11D return of benefits and expenses and P11D(b) return of Class 1A NICs.

19 July 2024 – Pay Class 1A NICs (by the 22 July

Read More