Services for

Sole Traders


Are you a subcontractor, working for yourself, or thinking about it? Are you expecting a CIS refund? We can help by preparing your figures and tax returns and are here to support you every step of the way.

Registration as Self-Employed

Class 2 & Class 4 National Insurance

VAT Returns

PAYE for Employers

CIS for Contractors & Sub-Contractors

Sole Trader Accounts

Self-Assessment Tax Returns


Sole Traders must register with HMRC for self-assessment and NI contributions. If you are a sole trader you will be running your business as an individual. However, you are able to take on staff and use sub-contractors, as being a sole trader does not mean you have to work alone.

If you have employees or sub-contractors, you will need to account for tax on any payments made to them and this will be through either, Pay As You Earn (PAYE) for employees, or, the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) for sub-contractors.

You may have to register for VAT if your income exceeds £85,000 and submit monthly, quarterly or annual VAT returns, accounting for VAT on your sales and purchases.

You will need to prepare accounts annually and submit a self-assessment Tax Return.

All of these services can be taken care of by the team at Emma Pickles Accountants, leaving you free to concentrate on running a successful business.


Check out our latest Insights for useful accounting tips and information.

Falling inflation – what does it mean for you?

The following notes are reproduced from a Treasury statement issued 21 May 2024.

Lower inflation supports people by maintaining the purchasing power of their money.

If prices only rise slowly, people can plan their budgets more effectively –

Read More

New Brooms

As time passes during the present election campaign, its seems more likely that we may have a change of government from the 5 July.

Labour have disclosed a number of tax changes they would introduce. To summarise they are:

Private school fees

Read More

Tax Diary July/August 2024

1 July 2024 – Due date for corporation tax due for the year ended 30 September 2023.

6 July 2024 – Complete and submit forms P11D return of benefits and expenses and P11D(b) return of Class 1A NICs.

19 July 2024 – Pay Class 1A NICs (by the 22 July

Read More